12 August 2022

Porter Wagoner

 Porter Wagoner was born on August 12th, 1927 in West Plains, Missouri.

Porter Wayne Wagoner (1927-2007)

When I was a kid my family went to see Porter Wagoner at Silver Mine Park in Conestoga, PA. They would host gospel and country shows every Sunday afternoon. I was very young but I still remember the meet and greet. A very loud and happy man in a bright purple suit. It was probably shorty after his television show stopped airing in 1981. That was technically my first concert. 

Years later I moved into that area and the stage was still in the park but falling apart. A neighbor kid tried to tell me that Metallica played there in the early 80’s but I didn’t believe him. 


The Porter Wagoner Show (1960-1981)


With Dolly Parton (from 1967-1974)

Early in Dolly Parton’s career she joined The Porter Wagoner show. When her career began to blossom, partly from the exposure she received on the show, she hesitated to leave out of loyalty. This created a friction on the set. Two years after intended she did leave, writing a hit song in honor of Wagoner and all that he had done for her career. 

I Will Always Love You (1974)

Also on this date:

Joe Besser was born in 1907
Buck Owens was born in 1929

No comments:

Post a Comment